Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream







Monday 2 April 2012

What to do at the Childrens book fair



Before going to the fair for the first time I started browsing a bit to find some advice. Maybe my limited patience and googling skills are to blame but I found very little on the web.
So I thought I share a little of my experience with you.

• Pick up publishers catalogues! I had a massive stack of these in my suitcase coming back. They really give you a good overview of what each publishing house is about. I cut them up and glued them into collages for each one, keeping only what’s relevant for me. Makes a lot more sense now and next time I can save myself some time and just go for the ones that fit my style.

• Show publishers your portfolio. Different publishers as well as different countries do this differently. Some put up signs at their stall, like “Illustrators hour 2 – 4 pm”. Others you will have to ask and some will some won’t look at your work.

• Browse books. From all over the world. This is candy store territory! Books you would never get your hands on otherwise! Need I say more? :o)

• Listen to talks about publishing, illustrating, writing, trends. Which – ehm – I did not manage at all. I spend most of my time queuing and browsing actually! And eating panini’s in the sun and drinking coffee in my breaks to clear my mind for a few minutes.

Oh, one more note, this is a WORLD book fair. Don’t miss out on seeing the world either and show your work to publishers from different countries, not just what you are familiar with, cause, let’s face it, you never know! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment